Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Why can't I write?

Wow, so I've already murdered one of my new year resolutions:

Write more.

And, that wasn't just in the sense of writing my blog more. Honestly, I really meant it as write ANYthing more. Stories, letters, notes, poems, blogs, whatever. Just write. I used to really love it. I used to sit in school when I'd finished my work and write all kinds of stories. Never got very far, to be honest, but I loved the process of creating.

I had one story I'd made about these kids growing up on colonial Mars. They'd been shipped off to a military academy and the story picked up in the capstone battle simulation: a three week long mass-battle in a 10km terraforming arena. It was fantastic, by far some of the most fun I've ever had writing. I wrote about 75 pages, and that was hand-written! I let a friend borrow it over a weekend and that weekend their apartment burned down. Go figure.

Ever since then, I've had trouble getting more than 5 or so pages into a story. It's like I reach a point where it feels like there's no point in going on. But I want to change that. I've recently been goofing off with my sister and writing short-story type things, and it's re-kindled my love for writing. I'm wanting to pick up a story and write. I've got a lot of ideas, but unfortunately, many of them are very VERY close to others' ideas, so I want to be careful not to tread on. But recently I've hit upon an idea.

Perhaps writing about the OPPOSITE of another work would be an interesting place to start. For example, perhaps instead of writing about a dystopian future where mankind is opressed and beset by countless enemies, I might write about a utopian society where mankind are the masters of all and must learn how to wield that power responsibly.

I like that idea, and I think I may start writing again because of it. Which brings me to the thrust of this post:

Would you guys be interested in seeing excerpts of what I'm writing? I probably wouldn't post them frequently (but, you know, I post here SOOO much already :)  ), but it might be a neat experience to share my creative mind and get constructive input AS I write instead of AFTER I write.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment